Sunday, May 22, 2011

Itch to Spend

I told Kris I had to buy something, that I had this compulsion I couldn't shake. I feel like a junkie addict. He said to find something small and go for it. He never chastises me for my purchases. He's crazy.

So I bought a diaper bag I've been eying for 6 months now that dropped more than 50% in price + free shipping.


Next month I have a baby allowance. I match what I spend and put it into savings so I don't feel like I'm running us into the ground.

My financial project of "How Much Does a Baby Really Cost..." is well documented. I track even the smallest item. I track down to each dollar and add a running total for dresses, toys, baby supplies, mommy supplies... gosh it's a really long list. I'm not kidding. I'm being very very very VERY conservative in listing what we think we need and that Excel spreadsheet is pages long. Of course, I (boringly, for my own geeky curiosity) itemize each thing from butt paste to diaper covers.

This whole spending compulsion is a bit of a monkey wrench. I keep track of each purchase to keep me accountable. I make more effort to spend wisely if I know I'm not wisely spending. I guess you wouldn't be surprised to know that I haven't updated that list in two weeks... some buyer's guilt is brewing.

Ahh well... can't be perfect all the time. My rules: always buy on sale, shop around, look for deals, buy used or make it yourself, and always ask "do I really need this?" Follow these, and I weed out a lot of bad purchases. One or two do sneak through the trap.

Can you believe next month.... JUNE! I can't believe it's almost JUNE! I'm 25 in less than a month!! I will be busy happily spending my time and money on farmer's market goods, picking some early strawberries, and a bunch of time outdoors. I'm fairly certain the baby shower will be on Sunday, July 31st, so I will make invitations soon and send them out! Next weekend I'm 7months, then after June I'll be 8 months, and then after July I'll be 9 months! I'll be nearly 9 months at the baby shower. Crazy!

That need to spend is back again... but right now it's for fruit! So off to the store to prescribe some much needed spending for some much needed nutrition (that isn't chocolate or coffee related). That should alleviate some spending guilt... right?

No comments: